I read hundreds of blogs a day. They fall into two categories: professional (blogs concerning social media) and recreational (interior design blogs). In the past few weeks I feel as though I’ve read half a dozen posts from various bloggers who are either trying to convince me that I should only blog when I have something truly amazing to say, whether that is once a week or once a month OR I should inundate my readers with content all day long. 5 posts a day! 10 posts a day! Why not 1,000,000 posts a day?
This debate has raged so long and had so many valid points made that I can no longer keep them straight in my head. So I am going to lay things out as I see them. The pros and cons of quality vs quantity. Perhaps seeing them in writing will help me figure out who is right — if anyone is.
- All posts will be of value to my readers
- The pressure to produce content every day is gone
- I provide my readers with less content
- Sometimes the pressure to write everyday leads to some really great content. With that pressure gone, will a lot of what are my favorite posts have never been written?
- Less content for the search engines to index
- Stats prove that blogs with more content are more popular
- There is lots of content, both for readers and for search engines to index
- I have to be constantly aware of what is going on in the blogosphere in order to be inspired to write
- I write more and you know what they say, practice makes perfect
- The content is not always my absolute best work
- As much as I’d like it to be, blogging is not the only part of my life. If I didn’t have to put the time in every day to think of a topic and write a post, I’d have more time to put towards promoting my business in other ways.
- Readers can feel like they are being inundated with content
Truthfully, I knew where I stood on this issue before making my list. I just wanted to see if I was able to change my own mind. I wasn’t.
I am all for quantity. I think that providing fresh content day in and day out is a challenge, but one that pushes me to be better than I am. I hope I am providing value to those who read my posts, and if I’m not, then my guess is they’re going to stop following me anyway.
And just a last nugget of thought. Why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Why can’t my aim be to put out quality content every day? Is that such an illusive goal? I don’t think so.
What do you think? Do you have a strong view point on quality vs. quantity? Do you subscribe to either method? Did I miss any pros and cons?